About Us

My photo
Lovin life! No matter where we are or what we're doing.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Alita's Curry

Cooking always makes me feel better. Lately I haven’t been able to cook much because of some circumstances that will thankfully be changing soon! (More about that news in a blog to follow.) Last night I had the time to create something, which is one of my favorite ways to cook. I like following recipes, but there is something about creating something off the top of you head that is fun, especially when it turns out well.

I had some coconut milk and chicken broth in the fridge that needed to be used. I also had some broccoli, carrot and onion that needed to be consumed as well. I picked up some boneless, skinless chicken thighs to complete the creation and I was off and runnin’!

I started out by sautéing the chopped chicken thighs in a little olive oil in the cast iron skillet on medium high heat. When they were browned I, sprinkled a little curry powder over them and let it cook in, then I removed the chicken from the skillet, lowered the heat to medium and threw in sliced onion and some crushed garlic, along with about a cup of sliced broccoli and half a cup of sliced carrots. (Next time I’m throwing in a chopped red potato and some sliced mushrooms… mmmhmmmm!) As the veggies cooked, I sprinkled more curry powder (about 1 teaspoon), cayenne pepper (just a tad bit) and 1 tablespoon of corn starch over them and stirred it in, until the veggies softened.

Next, I poured the chicken broth over the veggies (maybe a cup? A little less?) and brought it to a simmer. Then, I poured about 1/3 cup of coconut milk into the skillet and stirred it in, letting it all come back to a simmer. I threw the cooked chicken back in the mix, along with a couple cranks of sea salt from the salt grinder. After a taste test and a little more curry, dinner was deliciously ready!

I think it would be fun to come to your house, open your fridge and pantry and see what I can come up with. Who’s up first?! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment